An outdoor kitchen is a great way for you to spend time outdoors, entertain guests, or prepare healthy meals. One regret that tops the chart when planning an outdoor kitchen is not including a sink.
If you are wondering if your outdoor kitchen needs a sink, read on to find out.
Do You Need To Install A Sink In An Outdoor Kitchen?
Yes, you should install a sink in your outdoor kitchen. It will make your kitchen more practical, functional, and usable.
When you need a water source, you do not want to keep running back inside the house or using a garden hose to get things done.
An outdoor kitchen sink can be used in the following ways:
- Hand Washing – You need access to soap and water when preparing food in your outdoor kitchen. Your guests may also need a place to wash their hands when they sit down for dinner. With a sink outside, there is no need for anyone to go inside just to wash their hands.
- Wash Vegetables & Other Food Items – To prepare meals for your family and friends, you need to have the vegetables and other food items cleaned. Without an outdoor kitchen sink, you will have to make those extra trips inside the house constantly.
- Clean Up Your Barbeque & Cooking Accessories – One of the reasons most people build an outdoor kitchen in their backyard is to barbeque. An outside sink will help you clean all the grilling tools and accessories quickly and with less hassle.
- Wash the Dishes – Outdoor kitchens don’t come with a dishwasher. A sink can help you keep your outdoor kitchen tidy as you can wash the used dishes in it.
- Prepare Drinks – If you are fortunate to have an outdoor bar or a drink station, a sink can come in handy. It allows you to wash up the glasses, prepare drinks and get those fruits ready for garnish.
These are just a few ways how you can use your outdoor sink. The main reason for you to install a sink in your outdoor kitchen is to ensure that the entire cooking and dining experience is kept outside.
Where Should You Put The Sink In An Outdoor Kitchen?
If you plan to use the existing indoor plumbing for our outdoor sink, put the sink as close to the house as possible. It will ensure easy access to the water pipes for your sink.
In case your outdoor kitchen is located a little away from the main house, the location of the outdoor sink will depend on your kitchen’s layout.
Consider the cooking facilities such as a pizza oven, outdoor grill station, refrigerator, food storage cabinets, and others. The sink can be installed in a ‘work triangle,’ with the sink on one side with the cooking facilities and storage on the other. This design allows for plenty of prep space while keeping everything in easy reach.
In addition, you may place the sink next to where you throw away the trash. It will make cleaning the outdoor kitchen simple.
Another important consideration is to leave some space on the countertop on each side of the outside basin. It will allow you space to store the dirty dishes and also provide the room you need for food preparation.
What Type of Sink is Best for An Outdoor Kitchen?
Whether it is indoors or outdoors, sinks are designed to be in constant contact with water. But, the more durable the material, the longer it will last outdoors. Stainless steel is the most popular choice for an outdoor sink as they resist staining and corrosion.
Choose brushed stainless steel sink instead of polish for your outdoor kitchen to prevent glare in the sun and disguise scratches.
Concrete and stone granite is also used for outdoor kitchens. But, as they are heavy, they need sturdy support to cope with the extra weight.
How Much Does It Cost to Install A Sink Outdoors?
The cost of installing an outdoor sink will be anywhere from $200 to $1000. The total cost will depend on several factors, such as the size of the sink, type of sink, kitchen sink material, piping needs, water lines, and plumber costs.
The location of your outdoor kitchen will also play a role in how much the outdoor sink will cost.